Worried about Japanese knotweed? Book a FREE site survey and we’ll send an invasive weed specialist to take a look.

How to Report Japanese Knotweed

The insidious and invasive nature of Japanese knotweed means it has the potential to wreak havoc on properties, railway infrastructure, road verges, landscaping schemes, flood defences and much more. Therefore, when Japanese knotweed is identified, the first thing that property owners tend to ask themselves is: how do I report it?
japanese knotweed removalEradicate your weeds now!Request a Free Survey

Do I Have to Report Japanese Knotweed?

In the event that you discover Japanese knotweed on your land, you are not legally required to declare it to your neighbours or the local authorities. However, it is illegal to allow Japanese knotweed to spread into the wild.

One situation where you may have to declare Japanese knotweed is when selling a property. Typically, when selling or buying a property, a knotweed-specific question is included on the pre-contract enquiry questionnaire, which is centred around the Law Society's TA6 form.

If you decide to ignore the presence of knotweed and you do not answer truthfully on this questionnaire, any prospective buyer has the potential to sue you under the Misrepresentation Act.

Request a Japanese Knotweed Survey>

Reporting Japanese Knotweed

Should you wish to report the presence of Japanese knotweed on your property or nearby land, you can do so by visiting the Non-Native Species Secretariat website, which is the industry body for companies involved in controlling and eradicating invasive non-native species in the UK.

Japanese knotweed is often spread by gardeners and construction workers who fail to dispose of contaminated soil in the correct manner. As per the government’s advice, anyone looking to dispose of Japanese knotweed must use a registered waste carrier and a suitable disposal site. Any individuals found not abiding by these practices can be reported to local authorities.

If you’ve spotted Japanese knotweed on your property and you’re looking for approved specialists to help get it removed, be sure to visit our Japanese knotweed removal page to learn how Taylor Total Weed Control can help!

For more information on how to report Japanese knotweed, call us today on 029 2039 7554 or email sales@taylortwc.co.uk

Request a Japanese Knotweed Survey>